Designed in 2 Minutes?

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

wireless input devices

  Right now, I'm using a wireless keyboard and mouse. Now, I have a small desk, and there's barely enough room for my CRT monitor (unsurprisingly) and speakers, never mind the keyboard and mouse! The monitor is actually rotated, and the keyboard and mouse are to the left of it, instead of directly in front. This means that I don't adopt the best of postures when working at my computer. However, since the keyboard is wireless, I can easily bring it down on to my lap, turn my chair to face the screen, and touchtype happily away on the wonderful Dvorak keyboard layout, just as I am right now. This would not be possible with a wired keyboard, or at least it would be very difficult. Also, when I need to do work with real paper and pen on my desk (*GASP* It happens! It's rare, but it happens!), I can just move the keyboard and mouse on to the bed behind me and get on with my work. I don't have to worry about unplugging or how far wires will reach. In fact, if I need to type something in, I can swivel round and type it on my bed, and it'll come up beautifully on the screen. It's so natural that I very rarely think about the fact that there are no wires any more. Well done to whoever came up with the idea. However, I am a little worried about the security issue, since everything I'm typing is essencially being broadcast quite a number of metres. Encryption would be nice, but would add quite significantly to the price, I'm sure. Let's see - 256-bit AES/Rijndael-encrypted keyboard scancodes would be nice! Hehe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home